The Carpenters Arms is a brick built Victorian pub with a few interesting  features. On the gable to the right of the building is a panel on which the ‘Carpenters Arms’ is carved in stone. The Carpenters Arms was probably built for the Dursley Steam Brewery.

The Quarter Sessions of 3rd January 1900 heard that the previous licensee to Robert Seeley (name not given) was fined 5s.6d.and 7s.4d. costs for permitting drunkeness on the premises.

Compare this photograph taken in 2007 with the black and white archive photo above. Close inspection will see that the Carpenters Arms sign to the left of the building might be hiding a ‘Stroud Brewery Fine Ales’ sign behind it.

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Richard Chapman, Dursley Steam Brewery

Rateable value in 1891: £14.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Thomas William Elvy, Dursley Steam Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £24.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Landlords at the Carpenters Arms include:

1885 Thomas Hughes

         Edward Lockyer

1891 A. Heat

1902,1906 Robert Seeley

1916,1927 Mrs Elizabeth Seeley (granted license 12th December 1916; widow of Robert)

1939 Donald Frank Seeley

1999,2000 Judith Price

2007 Michelle Edwards

Share this Page: