The Battledown Inn was a rendered plain looking building standing near the junction of Hales Road and Hewlett Road. Other pubs in close proximity were the Hewlett Arms at thee bottom of Harp Hill and the now demolished Greyhound in Hewlett Road.
Charles King owned the Battledown Inn in 1891 which he leased to the Cheltenham Original Brewery. Mary King is listed as owner in 1903, presumably Charles’ wife (possibly his widow). Mary King continued to lease it to the local brewery. The Battledown Inn was a licensed beer house with an annual rateable value of £21.5s.0d. in 1891 increasing by 15/- to £22.0s.0d. in 1903.
The old sign from the Battledown Inn was displayed for many years in the Whitbread Sports and Social Club in the old Cheltenham (Flowers) Brewery. Its whereabouts is now unknown, hopefully preserved somewhere.
The Battledown Inn was demolished in the late 1970’s. The site of the pub is now occupied by a terrace of modern houses at 156/158 Hales Road.
Landlords at the Battledown Inn include:
1870,1883 Charles King
1891 Frank Eugene Cole
1903 Albert Jeynes
1926 Sidney Woodman (listed as beer and cider retailer)