The Barleycorn Inn was a small pub, which had two rooms for public use. The access to the Barleycorn Inn was described as ‘having a bad approach’, presumably it was located up a narrow lane.
The owner of the Barleycorn Inn in 1889 was Alfred Wintle of Bill Mills near Weston under Penyard, Ross on Wye. Alfred conducted a malting business at Bill Mills supplying malt to a few pubs making their own beer. His brother Thomas Wintle had started brewing in Mitcheldean in 1869, so although ownership of the Barleycorn Inn is credited to Alfred Wintle of Bill Mills, the beer was supplied from the Forest Brewery. Thomas passed away in 1888, leaving the brewery in Mitcheldean to his four children of which Francis had sole control by 1890. The Barleycorn Inn was owned by Francis Wintle in 1891 and 1903. Throughout those twelve years the annual rateable value of the beer house was set at £18.0s.0d and it closed each night at 11 pm.
In 1895 the Cinderford Recreation Ground on Valley Road, Bilson Green was compulsory purchased by the Great Western Railway and Cinderford Station was opened on 2nd July 1900. The Forest Brewery built the Railway Hotel at the same time to cater for the needs of passengers.
As the Barleycorn Inn was just 100 yards away from the newly opened Railway Hotel the Forest Brewery were keen to dispose of it. The Barleycorn Inn was referred to the compensation authority and it had closed by 1912.
There is now a housing development called Barleycorn Square off Station Terrace.
Landlords at the Barleycorn Inn include:
1868-1871 William Dorrington
1888-1898 William Reeves (property owned in 1888 by Joseph Bennett)
1903,1910 Richard Reed (moved to the Railway Inn, Dunks’ Corner, Nailbridge)