The oldest part of the property dates back to the 15th century. It was once a bakers shop. It has been said that there is still a bakers oven concealed behind a wall in the pub but it has never been found.
In 1888 the Bakers Arms was owned by the Cirencester Brewery – the year in which the brewery became a Limited Company.
The Bakers Arms was acquired by the owners of the Wild Duck Inn at Ewen in December 2000. In July 2004 it was sold to businessmen Nick Beardsley and Christopher Coquoin (see the Britannia Inn and Tipputs Inn, Nailsworth).
The landlord in 2004, Richard Burton, was surprised to learn that one of the villagers and customer at the Bakers Arms was called Elizabeth Taylor!
When Nick Beardsley applied for extended open hours in September 2005, with the intention of opening the Bakers Arms earlier to offer breakfast meals, a few residents of Somerford Keynes objected to the changes which prompted Mr Beardsley to say: “It is very difficult to make money in a small rural pub. If we can’t make a go of it we will be looking for planning permission to turn it into a residential property.” Luckily the Cotswold District Council licensing sub committee gave permission to extended licensing hours.
Map Reference: SU 017954
This page will be updated with additional information.
Rateable Value in 1903: £11.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Bakers Arms include:
1902 Geo. Joseph White
1903,1919 Alfred Sansom
1927 Mary Ann Sansom
2004,2005 Richard Burton
2005 Chris Wright and Sam Tate