The Axe & Compass was a traditional Cotswold beamed village pub which was probably converted from three cottages c.1824.
In 1996 the pubs owners, Phoenix Inns Ltd., applied for planning permission to turn it into a house. It was saved when Cotswold District council rejected the application and Chippenham based Libran Inns announced that they were prepared to take over the lease of the pub.
However in September 2008 the Axe & Compass had closed.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SU 154971
Owner in 1891: R.B. Bowley, North Wilts Brewery, Swindon
Rateable Value in 1891: £12.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: R.B. Bowley, North Wilts Brewery, Swindon
Rateable Value in 1903: £12.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Axe & Compass include:
1891 William Hewer
1903,1913 Charles Lappington
1996 Geoff Willis (manager)
2000 Rachael Kimber and Philip Lewis (manager)
2004 Chris and Michelle McKeown
2005 Craig Mariner
2006 Tim and Teresa