The building was constructed in 1650. It was in the centre of the village by the war memorial on the London Road
In 1856 the pub was listed as the Ox and Compass, Poulton, Swindon. In the 1885 Kellys directory the entry was for the Axe and Compasses. It had changed its name to the Carpenters Arms by 1891.
Map Reference: SP 102010 (approximate)
Owner in 1891: Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1891: £13.12s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
1856 R. Harrison (Ox & Compasses)
1885 Thomas Ricketts (Axe & Compasses)
1891 Edward Herbert. (Carpenters Arms)