In the 1870 directory W.F. Alder is recorded at the Porter Stores, 2/3 Winchcomb Street. The premises was located near the junction with the High Street.
Charles Garton & Co. were brewers based in Easton Road, Lawrence Hill in Bristol. Garton’s owned the Alder’s Stores in 1891. It was a licensed beer house with an annual rateable value of £46.15s.0d. The Bristol based brewery was acquired by the Anglo-Bavarian Brewery of Shepton Mallet in Somerset in 1898. Alder’s Stores were owned by Anglo-Bavarian in 1903. In the intervening twelve years since the rateable value of the property had significantly decreased by over eight pounds to £38.5s.0d. During the First World War the ‘Bavarian’ connection was dropped from the title and the Anglo Brewery ceased trading in 1921 and part of the estate was sold to the Cheltenham Original Brewery.
Alder’s Stores (Inn) closed in 1930.
Landlords at the Alders Stores include:
1870 W.F. Alder
1891 Richard Warne Hudson
1903 Harry Parsons