The Yew Tree is situated in an isolated location on the west bank of the River Severn at Chaceley Stock. The ancient Odda’s Chapel and the Saxon Church at Deerhurst is on the opposite banks of the river. There was once a river ferry crossing here and at various times in its history the pub has been known as the Old Ferry Inn. It is also thought to have traded as the Stock Inn. Parts of the pub date back to 1640.
In the 1891 and 1903 petty session licensing records the Yew Tree Inn is listed in the parish of Hasfield. It was a simple beerhouse with a licence to sell beer and cider on the premises only.
Over the years the pub has been extended and modernised and the original buildings have been changed beyond recognition. In July 2007 the Old Ferry Inn (as it was called at the time) was deluged by floodwater in the Great Gloucestershire flood. It fully opened for business again in November 2007. It is now trading as the Yew Tree.
This page will be updated with additional information
Map Reference: SO 865298
Owner in 1891: Alfred Collins (free from brewery tie)
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: W.M. Baker (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £15.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse (‘on’ sales only)
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Yew Tree include:
1891 Alfred Collins
1903 Frederick G. Treherne
1939 Harry G. Healey
1950’s Frank Stebbins
1960’s (?) Brian Burnett
1970’s Bill Bird
1999 Graham Hyde
2006 (Dec), 2009 Peter and Carole Bartlett