Ye Old Wheatsheaf Inn is an architectural gem. The black and white building, with a four storey jettied front, was built c.1500. In the 15th century the Wheatsheaf Inn boasted a skittles alley and fives court (a game similar to squash). During the 19th century it was the venue for dinners staged by such organisations as the Primrose League, the Englishmen’s Society and the Cordwainers’ Society. Immediately to the rear of the Wheatsheaf in Oldbury Road stood Thomas Walker & Sons. This was a factory established in 1871 that specialised in building fairground equipment.

The ownership of the pub was transferred to the Cheltenham Original Brewery in 1924 and the Wheatsheaf continued to sell Cheltenham ales until it closed in 1956.

Ye Olde Wheatsheaf  has changed very little over the years apart from at street level where some sensitive alterations have been made over the years.  In 2000 it was being used as an antique furniture shop. The building was put on the market in September 2001. At the time of sale it still had a licence available for conversion back into a restaurant or pub. The Wheatsheaf is now a book shop (Cornell Books). It has a covered alleyway leading from the front to the back and period features include large fireplaces, cobbled floors, original cornice mouldings and wood-panelled rooms. There is even an old ‘wig cupboard’.

Map Reference: SO 894328

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Tewkesbury Brewery

Rateable value in 1891: £28.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903:  Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £32.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Owner in 1924: Cheltenham Original Brewery

Landlords at Ye Old Wheatsheaf include:

1774-1777 William Pye

1777-1778 Mary Pye (widow)

1778-1806 William Merry

1806-1809 William Finch

1809-1816 Charles Chandler

1816,1823 William Causon

1830 Margaret Tudor

1832,1841 John Pugh

1841-1844 George Fouch

1844-1852 William Hatch

1852,1858 James Walker

1864 Charles Harris

1864-1865 George Sanders

1865-1866 Thomas Sexty

1866-1867 George Hodge

1867-1877 James Hodge

1879 William Westfield

1885 William Palmer

1886 J.W. Palmer

1889 Fouracre

1891,1892 Frederick Lewington Key

1893-1894 Pearce

1894-1897 Preston

1897-1898 John White Pope

1898-1900 Charles Sallis

1900-1901 Charles Rogers

1901-1902 John Ely

1902-1907  Leonard Jones (Listed as James Jones in 1906 Kellys Directory)

1907-1914 James Hunt Poole

1914-1918 James Jones

1918,1927 William Attwood

1938,1939 Mrs Ann Atwood (widow)

1939-1945 William Lambert

1945-1956 William Simmonds

Share this Page: