Gloucester Journal: May, 3rd, 1879 – Mr A. Krauss, builder, of Bristol, has entered into a contract with the Tramway Company to build stables for their horses on the land near the India House, which the company have purchased off Mr. Slater.  

The address of Ye Olde India House was 101 Lower Barton Street in the original numbering. Ye Old India House once brewed its own beer. G Cummings provided materials for Home Brewed Beer

The pub has had a long association with the boxing community and aspiring boxers train in an upstairs gym. Local boxing legend Hal Bagwell trained at the India House. ‘Baggie’ began his professional boxing career as a lightweight in 1937. When Baggie died in May 2001 he still held the world record of 183 professional fights without a defeat. The City of Gloucester Amateur Boxing Club moved out of the India House in November 1979 to their new premises on the corner of Guinea Street and Sweetbriar Street in Kingsholm, the building previously the headquarters of Spartans Rugby Football Club.

The Old India House had a double skittle alley. A report in the Gloucester Journal on January 5th 1980 gave the news that the double alley ‘could be in use again.’ The India House was the place where the Charity Skittles League was born in 1947 under the chairmanship of Harry C. Pritchard.

It was acquired by Arkells Brewery of Swindon in 1991.

This page will be updated with additional information.

Landlords:

1830 Thomas Miles

1856 T. Parry

1870 Mrs Bunday

1879 James Bullock (India House)

1885,1893 William Bayliss (India House in 1893)

1906,1919 Joseph Bayliss

1927 Charles Brint

1936 E.E. Goodwin

1939 W.E. Harris

1956 Audrey M Worrall

1957 A.W. Worrall

1991 Peter and Gillian Mortley

1998 Stewart Hibberd

2001 Eve Hibberd

2003 Andy Gifford and Michelle Cox

2006 Michelle Gifford

Share this Page: