William Green is recorded as the owner of the Whitesmith Arms in 1891 and 1903. It seems that he ran the pub as a free house in late Victorian times, but the lease of the property had been taken by Showell & Co. in 1903. The Whitesmith Arms was a licensed beer house, having an annual rateable value of £17.0s.0d. remaining at the same level throughout the times of the licensing returns.
In the 1960’s – 1970’s the Whitesmiths Arms was an Ind Coope pub and was converted in the early 1980’s to a Hall’s Oxford and West Brewery pub. This was little more than marketing strategy as the beers were still brewed in Burton on Trent. During this refurbishment an attractive Halls plaque was inlaid into the pub.
For some reason the pub was renamed as the Junction, The significance of this is not known, the geographical location has no physical road or rail junction – maybe it was just a reference to the Squeeze song ‘Up The Junction.’ The Junction, which was owned by Punch Taverns in 2005, catered mainly for the student and younger drinking set.
The Junction has permanently closed. It has been converted to residential use. However, the Junction Inn pub sign is still hanging.
Landlords at the Whitesmith Arms include:
1870 James Saunders
1883 E. Thomas
1891 Stephen James
1903 Frederick George Sweeting
1939 Clifford C. Davies