The White Swan was on the northern corner of Swan Lane. Originally numbered 94 Westgate Street the address of the White Swan was changed to 148 Westgate Street. The Old Dial Inn stood next door on the other side of Swan Lane.
The White Swan was once a tied house of Wintle’s Forest Brewery of Mitcheldean. It was described as a ‘substantial double fronted brick built premises well placed in a busy main thoroughfare’.
The White Swan was flooded when the River Severn burst its banks on Saturday 29th March 1947.
The pub was demolished in 1972 presumably with the architecturally superb Duke of Norfolks house which stood next door.
Landlords at the White Swan include:
1856 J. Lewis
1859 Mary Lewis
1879 Thomas Barnes
1885 Joseph Hudson
1893 G.M. Wright
1906 Albert Field
1906/7 Mrs Field
1919 Mrs Rose Webb
1927 Walter H. Bullock
1936,1957 Alfred Smith