The White Swan was down the steep road that leads to the foot of the old reservoir. The 1891 record simply refers to the pub as the Dowdeswell Mill. When the reservoir was constructed the licence was transferred to the new pub on the new road (Reservoir Inn). The original London Road ran through the valley and was flooded by the reservoir. The White Swan pub sign was preserved and was displayed for a number of years at the Reservoir Inn
Owner in 1891: Mary Ashmead (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891:
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: John Delabere (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £17.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
1891,1903 John Wilson.