39 Burton Street in an 1870 reference and also in the 1939 Kellys directory. The Gloucestershire Echo described the White Swan Inn as having ‘a very fair trade and had recently been decorated and electrically lighted’. (10th March 1927). 39 Burton Street is now an ordinary terraced house with nothing to indicate that it was once a pub.
Cripps & Co., family owners of the Cirencester Brewery, are listed as the owners of the White Swan in 1891. It was classified as a beer house with an annual rateable value of £12.15s.0d. The Cirencester Brewery became a registered limited company in 1887, so the reference to Cripps & Co in the Petty Sessional Divisional Licensing Records is erroneous by four years. Cirencester Brewery were owners in 1903, when the annual rateable value had increased by fifteen shillings to £13.10s.0d.
Fellow pub historian Martin Edwards has identified a beer house called the Butterman’s Arms at 39 Burton Street in an 1844 reference. Presumably this is the same premises as the White Swan.
Landlords of the White Swan include:
1844 R. Jones (Butterman’s Arms)
1870,1878 James Hall
1891 Charles Large Baldwin
1903 William H. Gardiner
1927 Henry George Tovey
1939 V.W. Fry