White Lion, Dudbridge Road
In the two licensing books of 1891 and 1903, which list all the pubs trading in Gloucestershire, there are references to two beer houses in the Parish of Rodborough, that are named the White Lion. It is known that a White Lion Inn was located on the Dudbridge Road, probably between the present day Kites Nest Inn (ex Fleece Inn) and the Midland Railway branch line. After it had closed as a pub, the White Lion was bought by a local firm, T.H. & J. Daniels, as accommodation for employees. The building was demolished in the 1960’s by the County Council for road widening.
Percy Long, who was landlord at the Kings Head in Kings Stanley in the 1930’s and 1940’s, was previously at a pub called the White Lion. There is a photograph that shows Percy outside a White Lion Inn, which was tied to the Cheltenham Brewery. His name is above the pub door. His family have done some research and believe that Percy’s pub was the White Lion at Rodborough. Unfortunately no local trade directories can confirm this.
As for the other ‘White Lion’, it would seem that the enumerator made a mistake as the Red Lion at Swells Hill is not mentioned in the original documentation. The Parish of Rodborough covers a large area – Swells Hill, off Butterow Hill, is two miles to the south of Dudbridge Road.
Map Reference: SO 839043 (approx)
Owner in 1891: James Tynte Agg-Gardner, Cheltenham Original Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Nailsworth Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse (six day licence – presumably closed on Sundays)
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
1891 Edward Harrison.
1903 Louisa Harrison
1920’s Percy Long?