The facade of the White Lion was substantially rebuilt at the beginning of the last century by Arnold Perrett & Co. The original pub was a plain rendered building but was replaced by a more ornate brick built facade. For many years it was tied to the Cheltenham Original Brewery.

At the time of King George V Jubilee in 1935 an old photograph shows it to have its own petrol pump within the brick arch which was once used as the entrance to the stables.

White Lion coaches ran out of the land at the back of the pub.

It is possible that the White Lion once brewed its own beer and perhaps the brewhouse still stands to the rear of the building.

White Lion - Long Street, Wotton-Under-Edge
Henry Penton was landlord at the time this photo was taken. Notice the old original Tolsey clock. It was later replaced by a new one to mark Queen Victoria’s jubilee.
White Lion - Long Street, Wotton-Under-Edge
White Lion - Long Street, Wotton-Under-Edge

Gloucester Journal: October 18th 1986 – A public dinner was held at the White Lion, Wotton under Edge, on Thursday evening, to which upwards of 50 sat down to keep up the homage dinner usually held on the day of the Court Leet, and which has now ceased to be held in consequence of the abolition of the corporation.


White Lion Skittles Meal in the 1960’s (upstairs in the function room)


White Lion - Long Street, Wotton-Under-Edge
White Lion - Wotton-Under-Edge
White Lion - Long Street, Wotton-Under-Edge
White Lion - Long Street, Wotton-Under-Edge
Landlord Martyn Mould, Bridgette (landlady). Dave Hedges on right. Photo taken 2015.
Robbo & Dave Teagle - White Lion - Long Street, Wotton-Under-Edge
Robbo & Dave Teagle (sat).

On the night of Tuesday 28th June 2005 torrential rain ruptured a sewer system behind the building and resulting in the severe flooding of the cellar at the White Lion. The cellar was under 18 inches of filthy water and it took firefighters nearly an hour and a half to pump it out. The electrical system was damaged and the stock was lost.

The White Lion is no longer trading.


Owner in 1891: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery

Rateable Value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery

Rateable Value in 1903: £24.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Brewery heritage: West Country Ales ceramic plaque

Owner in 2007: Punch Taverns


Landlords at the White Lion include:

1755 Edward Buy

1791 Mary Woolright 9from 1791 British Directory)

1820,1823 George Jones

1830 Thomas Rickards

1842 Thomas Cary

1849,1856 Joseph Derrett (in 1851 Joseph was aged 60 and living with his wife Sarah, aged 62)

1880’s Henry Penton (name taken from a photograph circ 1880’s)

1885,1891  George Lear

1897.1903  Charles Whitworth

1906 John Burt

1927 F. C. Dawes

1939 Thos Albert Victor Scadding

?       Edward Scadding

1958-1971 Frederick and Kathleen Freeman

1971-1973 Michael and Pat Gough

1973-1978 Peter and Jill Griffiths

1978 (May) – 1987 (October)  Cyril and Beryl Squire

?       – Selwyn

1998 Carl and Michelle Jones

1999 Aubrey Wood

Share this Page: