The building dates back to 1647, rebuilt in 1732, but it had became a licensed premises by 1794. It was sold to Dunnell’s Brewery of Banbury on 26th January 1888 and was subsequently acquired by Hunt Edmunds in February 1918. The White Lion closed during the First World War and the building was sold to Lloyds Bank in 1920.
There is a White Lion Cottage in the High Street, GL56 OAX
Owner in 1891: Charles Horne (leased Dunnell & Sons, Banbury, Oxon)
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Charles Horne (leased Dunnell & Sons, Banbury, Oxon)
Rateable value in 1903: £13.13s.4d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the White Lion include:
1830 Thomas Horne
1856 Mrs Jane Cambray
1885,1903 Owen James Coppage
1906 Harry G.W. Hemming