The White Lion has been identified by fellow pub historian Martin Edwards in his research of Cheltenham pubs in the early reign of Queen Victoria. In his list of licensed premises in the town in the year 1844 Martin has discovered that the White Lion was trading as a public house in Gloucester Road. He has made notes that it was located on the corner of Tewkesbury Road and Gloucester Road ‘where the old gas office stands now’.
It is possible that the White Lion was demolished to facilitate the construction of the offices of the Cheltenham Gas Company – the distinctive brick-building with its ornate clock tower which still stands today. The White Lion was probably only in business for a period of 50 years or so.
1844 Robert Mills