The White Lion has welcomed travellers on the Gloucester to Bristol main road since at least the 18th century. The hotel once had stabling for 12 to 14 horses. However, the White Lion is now closed and is in residential use.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 749038
Rateable Value in 1891: £36.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1891: Lord Fitzhardinge (leased Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery)
Rateable Value in 1903: £24.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Lord Fitzhardinge (leased Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery)
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the White Lion include:
1830 Daniel Orchard
1856 W. Hooper
1891 Emanuel Nelmes
1903,1906 Albert Edward Huntley
1919,1927 Daniel Moss
1939 Edward G. Gregory
1998,2000 Gerry and Pat Gilling
2001 Dawn, Mike and Jamie
2006 Maxine and Rob