The White Horse was located at the lower end of Newerne Street. Albert Nelmes was licensee at the White Horse for two years before he took over the licence of the Bridge Inn… for 52 years!
William Peters was the owner of the White Horse Inn in 1891 and 1903. The beer house had an annual rateable value of £15.7s.6d. The White Horse was trading free of brewery tie in 1891, but it seems that the owner William Peters was persuaded to lease the premises to the avaricious Wickwar Brewery (Arnold, Perrett & Co., Ltd) who had the White Horse in their rapidly expanding portfolio of Forest of Dean pubs by 1903. Closing time was at 11 pm.
Landlords at the White Horse include:
c.1886-1888 Albert Nelmes
1881 Charles Brown (aged 41)
1891 James Nelmes
1903 Albert William Clarke