16th century building on the western side of Station Road. It is now a private residence called White Horse Lodge. A rectangular indent in the rendering once housed a West Country Ales plaque.
Map Reference: ST 725877
Owner in 1891: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable Value in 1891: £11.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £11.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Present Status: Private residence.
Landlords at the White Horse include:
1856 W. Cordy
1885 William Skerrett
1891,1902 Ambrose Codrington
1903,1906 Benjamin Rose
1919 Mrs Annie Elizabeth Cooper
1927 Tom Cooper
1939 Rowland Hy. Fear
? – 1965 George and Rose Purvis (George’s brother ran the Fox and Hounds at Inglestone Common)
1965-1967 Jack and Mavis Jones (moved to the Buthay Inn)