An advertisement of 30th June 1854 in the Stroud Press reads:
‘White Horse. Commercial Inn, Cainscross. R. Darke. Neat Fly, Phaeton and Saddle Horses for Hire. Choicest Wines and Spirits. The house warming dinner on Monday 3rd July at 4 o’clock. Tickets 2/6 each. R. Darke continues to carry on the trade of butcher’.
In November 1999 the pub was refurbished and changed identity to the mysteriously named DB’s. The public bar and lounge were knocked into one and the interior was redesigned with ‘vibrant colours’. The new manager described the old White Horse Inn as a “dingy two bar pub.” DB’s was designed to attract the younger customer.
After a period of closure, the pub was on the market for £280,000 in November 2008. London based agents indicated that the site was suitable for development, but it could continue trading as a pub.
The building is now in use as a community café.
In January 2009 Ada Fifield, a previous landlady at the White Horse Inn. Celebrated her 102nd birthday at Wyatt House in Paganhill.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 835050
Owner in 1891: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £25.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £30.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Owners in 1999: Pubmaster
Owners in 2006: Punch Taverns
Landlords at the White Horse / DB’s include:
1830 William Mealing
1848 John Flight (he moved to the ‘Red Lion’ in Russell Street, Stroud on 26th February 1848. He is listed as inn-keeper at the Railway Hotel in Russell Street.)
1848 George Hill (from 29th April 1848)
1856 R. Darke
1885 William Firth
1891,1906 William Hooper
1919,1927 Mrs Rose Chandler
1930-c1947 Ruby and Fraser Edwards
1939 Alfred F. Edwards
? Ada Fifield
1979 Des Day
1983 Mrs Avis Day
1984 Roy Muir
1999 Wayne Beachus and Vikki Aschcroft
2001 Jane Lambe and Alistair Burke
2004 Ross Andrews
2008 David May and Jodien Fuller