In the 1830 Pigots directory there are separate references to the White Hart and Old White Hart suggesting that there were two pubs of this name in Coleford. Again, in the 1837 Robson’s Commercial Directory for Coleford both the Old White Hart and the White Hart are listed concurrently.
I am grateful to John Saunders for the following research and information:
In 1804 Richard Porter began trading as a wine & spirit merchant in premises immediately to the right of the Angel Hotel, known as the White Hart. This would have been a brave move away from the ever popular cider and beer. On his death he left the property to his three children, Richard, Ann and Harriett. Richard ran the White Hart and his sister Ann acting as his house-keeper. Harriett had married George Tippins, a corn factor maltster of Dixton, Monmouth. She continued to use her maiden name as a second name and used it for her children, except for her eldest son. In 1837 she and her husband sold their third share in the property to Richard and Ann. In the conveyance it was stated “The Buck formerly known as the White Hart”. The name had changed in the 1830’s to save confusion with Ye Olde White Hart Inn, that still stands and trades on the corner of Market Place and St. John Street.
Richard carried on the trade of wine & spirit merchant and started to sell beer. He became a prosperous businessman, purchasing the Angel Hotel (which he let to William King), besides purchasing several shops, houses and parcels of land which he let, giving him sufficient income to retire from trade. He let the Buck to his two nephews Henry Porter Tippins and Charles Porter Tippins, and children of his sister Harriet.
Courtesy John Saunders
On his death in 1867 Richard, a bachelor, left all his property to his favourite nephew George Porter Tippins subject to to following bequests that had to be paid within one year of his death: To John Alfred Tippins, £400: to Henry Porter Tippins, £300. Charles Porter Tippins, Ann Porter Tippins and James Harper received £200 each
The brothers decided to go their separate ways. Charles Porter Tippins purchased the Buck and carried on trading as a wine & spirit merchant. In a Kellys Directory for 1870 Charles was advertising that he was an agent for Burton Ales and Dublin Stout. Charles, who remained a bachelor, died on October 2nd 1880, aged just 34. His brother Henry Porter Tippins moved to Monmouth where he established the Monmouth Steam Brewery in 1871. The Buck was then taken over by Matthew Bull.
Perhaps Matthew Bull had seen the light and had been converted by the Temperance Movement. His wife ran the Buck and Matthew Bull then started another new venture as an auctioneer, which he carried on until his death in 1892. During his time at the Buck, Matthew Bull became a trustee of the Ancient Order of Foresters, Coleford branch, called The Maid of the Forest Court which was an informal friendly society.
P.H. Homer was not to trade for long at the Buck, now called the Buck Wines & Spirit Vaults. The renewal of Homer’s licence was refused in 1885 at the Brewsters Session at Coleford Court. The contents of the premises were up for sale on 18th February 1886.
It is believed that at this date a Mr Evans bought the Buck and changed its use to a grocery shop. He was followed by Mr. Little. The property was later acquired by the Midland Bank who rebuilt the building.
The site of the Buck is now the Ritmus Tapas Bar.