14 Bell Lane in 1919 Kellys directory and also 1957 reference. The pub, a few yards from Southgate Street, was a plain brick built pub within a terrace. It had sash windows with shutters. In the 1950’s it was tied to the Stroud Brewery. A painted wall sign read: ‘White Hart Inn. Fully Licensed. Cotswold Beers.’
Harry Hewlett, the pubs last licensee, was a well-known boxer. In his boxing career spanning some 16 years he claimed that he had never been knocked out, warned or disqualified. He sported an immaculate centre hair parting and was so well known that regulars at his pub referred to it as ‘Harry’s’.
The White Hart had an Angling Club in 1952. Harry and his wife were tenants at the White Hart for 26 years before retiring in 1964. The White Hart was demolished c.1964 to make way for the Bell Walk shopping centre development.
Owner in 1950: Stroud Brewery Company
Landlords at the White Hart include:
1856,1859 James Dowding
1879,1885 Frederick William Butt
1893 J. Gendas
1902 Mrs Emma Butt
1906 Frederick William Butt
1907 J.T. Dugan
1919,1927 George William Williams
1936 S.J. Trott
1938-1964 Harry Hewlett