The White Bear in Bredon Road is just off the High Street to the north of the town. It is opposite the junction of Oldbury Road.

B. Linnell in his book ‘Public Houses of Tewkesbury Borough’ (1972) writes: “Viewed from any angle the White Bear has the appearance of a place that has never been completely finished. Bits have been added and taken away as successive owners have imposed their ideas upon the fabric. Fifty years ago [1922] the open yard was an enclosed area surrounded by stabling and entered through a large wooden gateway. Inside the changes have been just as great. Yet the pub is only a little more than a century old. The existing accommodation for the public is one large ‘L’ shaped bar room, with the bar along the inside of the foot. Before 1964 there was an unsatisfactory layout of smaller rooms set back about a bar half way down the outside of the ‘L’, plus a parlour in the small room to the side of the front entrance. After the former were combined this parlour was retained until 1970 when it was incorporated into the living room of the tenant.”

The White Bear was the venue of the Tewkesbury branch of CAMRA ‘Winter Ales Festival’ from 1994 until 2004. It was held on the first weekend of February in the pub skittle alley. The popular CAMRA beer festival now takes place in the Watson Hall in Barton Street, Tewkesbury.

The White Bear. Summer 2006.

The White Bear was badly affected by the catastrophic floods on July 2007. Freak rain sent a deluge of surface water cascading into the pub and the level of water reached waist high. A great deal of structural damage was done and all the furnishings were ruined. At its height, the floodwater reached almost to the top of the ground floor windows. The restoration involved stripping the walls back to the bare brickwork. During the renovation work an old bread oven was discovered and a ‘Players’ Navy Cut’ cigarette packet was found on a beam in the pub. The White Bear eventually opened for business again on 1st December 2007.

Note the Castle emblem of the West Country Breweries in the pub sign bracket.

It is believed at the time of writing in April 2022 that the White Bear has closed, but the Inferno Brewery based in Tewkesbury have their ‘pop up’ bar in the garden on most weekends.

Map Reference: SO 895333

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Cheltenham Original Brewery

Rateable value in 1891: £24.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903:  Cheltenham Original Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £24.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Landlords at the White Bear include:

1854 Mrs Vale

1867-79 William Westfield

1879,1880 H.T. Edwards

1885 Joseph Talbot Edward

1887 Charles Bevan

1887,1888 Thomas Wood

1888-1890 Mrs Sutton

1890-1892 Louisa Ashcombe

1892 Mary Ann Stone

1892,1893 Sarah Ann Brown

1893 Elizabeth Brown

1893-1894 George H. Abbott

1894-1895 William Jones

1895-1898 Charles Parker

1898-1904 John Goddard Roberts 

1904-1906 Mrs Harriet Roberts (widow)

1905 William Roberts

1905 William Smith

1905-1906 Edward Smith

1907-1917 James Osborne

1917-1928 Henry Jones

1928-1931 Harry Gummery

1931-1936 John Mansell

1936-1947 Arthur H. Mustoe

1947-1964 Arthur Burton

1964-1967 Ivor Stephens

1967-1970 David McGowan

1970,1978 Alexander Warden

1978,1989 Harry Brooks

1989,1991 Gilbert Wellon

1991,1994 Dawn McGinley

1994 H. Stone

2007 Gerry and Jane Boazman

Share this Page: