At one time there were three pubs side by side; The Dove & Rainbow, the Welsh Harp and the Compasses.
James Cull was the owner and occupier of the Welsh Harp in 1891. It was licensed as a beer house and was free from brewery tie. The annual rateable value in 1891 was £24.10s.0d. It is probable that James Cull was approached by the Showell’s brewery in Oldbury, Staffordshire, to negotiate a purchase as in 1903 the Welsh Harp was in their ownership. The annual rateable value of the property increased slightly by five pounds and five shillings to £29.15s.0d.
The Welsh Harp closed down in August 1996 and languished for a period with boarded up windows. It had been tied to Ind Coope and latterly was a Hall’s pub. It reopened as the Flute ‘n’ Jig – an Irish Theme pub. This venture was short-lived and it was refurbished into the Bath House.
It was put on the market in November 2007 for £300,000. It had closed by January 2008. An application for change of use and extensions to provide seven one-bedroom and studio apartments (May 2008).
Landlords at the Welsh Harp include:
1878,1903 James Cull
1926 Franklin James
1939 Andrew Lodge