In 1859 George Holder is listed at the Wellington, High Street. In 1870 the Wellington Inn is listed as being at Queens Buildings, Bath Road. The Gloucestershire Chronicle of that year mentions the Wellington Hotel ‘with outbuildings behind at 95 High Street’. The date of closure is unknown. Presumably demolished.

In the 1891 and 1903 licensing books the Wellington Inn is documented as being ‘Tied to Henry Dredge’. In 1891 it is known that Henry Dredge was in occupation at the Beehive in Montpellier and there was a brewery attached to the premises. Presumably the Wellington Inn was, in effect, tied to the Beehive Brewery.  The Wellington Inn was a licensed beer house and had an annual rateable value of £21.5.0d., staying at the same level during those twelve years.

The Wellington Vaults was opposite the entrance to Sandford Park.

Landlords:

1830 William Dangerfield (Wellington Arms, Queens Buildings)

1856,1870 George Holder

1883 Thomas Steventon

1891 Mary Hogg

1902 Frederick Vowles

1903 William John Cofield

1926 George Alfred James  (Wellington Bar, Bath Road)

Share this Page: