The Vale of Neath, a beer house, has been identified in Painswick Terrace by fellow pub historian Martin Edwards. He has made a list of pubs that were trading in 1844 during the early reign of Queen Victoria… and that’s a long time ago.
Painswick Terrace was in Andover Road, on the south side near Park Place – from Painswick Road to the lane leading through to Ashford Road.
In 1870 it is documented that there was an Andover Arms in Painswick Terrace – could this be a later incarnation of the Vale of Neath beer house? Henry Fox was the occupying landlord of the Andover Arms in 1870.
There is no mention of either the Vale of Neath or the Andover Arms in the 1891 licensing returns.
1844 Henry Merrett (Vale of Neath)