Originally tied to Cook’s Tetbury Brewery the Upper Star Inn was acquired by the Stroud Brewery in 1913. It was referred to the Compensation Authority in 1922 and was sold for £500 in 1924 to William Haines, a poultry farmer. The purchase included a dwelling house, stable, two store houses, cart shed, pigsties and one and a quarter acres of land.

Courtesy Nailsworth Town Archives

The Upper Star Inn is now a private residence called Star Cottage.

Courtesy Nailsworth Town Archives

Map Reference: SO 843002

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Messrs. Cook, Tetbury Brewery

Rateable value in 1891: £11.15s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse

Owner in 1903: Messrs. Cook, Tetbury Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £11.15s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Landlords at the Upper Star Inn include:

c.1861,1891 Joseph Wilkins

1903 Joseph Gardner

Courtesy Nailsworth Town Archives
Share this Page: