See also Cathedral Tavern
The Upper George was once known as the Cathedral Tavern. It is understood that the Upper George was located at 138 Westgate Street. In 1873 this address was occupied by Mr A. Tanner, a painter and paper hanger.
In 1920 the site of the Upper George was occupied by the Palladium Picture Palace (138 Westgate Street). The equivalent modern day address is 50 Westgate Street and is opposite the Fountain Inn.
In 1974 the building at 50 Westgate Street was Cookes furniture store.
1856 S. Niblett
1859 Mary E. Lee