For over 200 years the Redesdale Arms Hotel was known as the Unicorn. It was recorded as early as 1661 and by 1830 had become an important coaching inn. The name was changed in 1886 in memory of the late John Thomas Freeman-Mitford, Earl Redesdale of Batsford Park.
In March 1985 the Redesdale Arms Hotel was on the market through the Cirencester offices of Robert Barry & Co, specialist hotel and licensed property agents. Offers around £1.5 million were being invited.
Owner in 1891: Frederick Tanner (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £26.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Hitchman & Co., Brewers, Chipping Norton
Rateable value in 1903: £32.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
1671 William Nicholls (Unicorn Inn)
1698 Laurence Ratliffe (Unicorn Inn)
1782 Richard Phipps (Unicorn Inn)
1815 George Phipps (Unicorn Inn)
1850 Richard Keyte (Unicorn Inn)
1856 George Wells (Unicorn Inn)
1876 David Wootten (Unicorn Inn)
1879, 1885 Joseph Allen Hathaway (Unicorn Inn)
1891 Frederick Tanner (owner, died Nov. 1893 aged 43)
1903-1935 Ann Tanner (died June 1935, aged 86)
1935-1951 Olive Tanner
1951-1957 Mr and Mrs Mick ‘Dixie’ Dean
1957-1972 John Oldrey
1973 Crest Hotels
1981 Hugh Ross Corbett
1983 Mr and Mrs R. Jewell
1985 Michael Elvis and Patricia Seedhouse
1990 County Inns.
1995 Nick Clarke (manager)