The Two Swans was located on the east side of Bream High Street on the crest of the hill above the Rising Sun. It is now a private house, still called the Two Swans. It probably closed at the beginning of the Second World War – Jim Price was the last landlord. The pub was also known by locals as the ‘Double Ducks’, a nice touch of Forest of Dean humour.
Dinah Smith was the owner of the Two Swans beer house in 1891 and at the time the pub was leased to Arnold, Perrett & Co. Ltd. It would usually be expected that the Wickwar Brewery would purchase the leasehold but twelve years later in 1903 the Two Swans had been acquired by the Anglo-Bavarian Brewery of Shepton Mallet, Somerset. The beer house had an annual rateable value and closed at 10 pm.
Landlords at the Two Swans include:
1885 Richard Smith
1891 Tom Miles
1903 John Kear
1939 Jim Price