The Turks Head beer house had an annual rateable value of £19.0s.0d. in 1891 and 1903 (11 pm closing). The Turks Head was free from brewery tie, which meant that the landlord could chose what beers that he wanted to sell in the pub. The Meredith family ran the pub for several years. Thomas Meredith was the owner in 1891 but the occupying landlord is listed as Samuel Meredith. In the 1901 census E. Meredith is in occupation and a year later Reuben Meredith is listed as a ‘beer retailer and grocer’ (although the name of the premises is not specified). In 1903 Samuel is recorded as owner of the Turks Head, although John England is listed as occupier.
Samuel Meredith was also the first landlord at the Railway Hotel (q.v), which suggests that he may had had some association with the Forest Brewery in Mitcheldean, maybe the Turks Head sold Wintle’s beer.
When the Turks Head was referred to the compensation authority, it was described it as ‘having three rooms for public use.’ It also stated that ‘in the past three years 1,000 gallons of cider have been sold at the Turks Head’. The Turks Head closed in 1911. It was only 50 yards away from the Kings Head in Abbey Street.