Three separate buildings in Shepherds Patch have served as licensed premises. The Shepherds Patch Inn is now in residential use and the Patch Bridge Hotel is a residential home. It appears that the license was transferred to the Tudor Arms from the Patch Bridge Hotel after its licence was relinquished in 1927.
The Tudor Arms is beside the Gloucester – Sharpness canal on the south side of the road leading to the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust. In the 1970’s the restaurant adjoining the pub was called the Rorty Crankle Steak Barn and featured live music – ‘Wanger Wainright was the lead singer of a Gloucester band called 9.30 fly!
The Tudor Arms was a free house in the 1980’s but supported real ale breweries. Davenports Bitter from the Birmingham Brewery was usually on offer, and Smiles Bristol Beers were on tap. The Rock family were at the Tudor Arms for nearly 40 years, apart from a three year break after Rita and Peter sold the pub in 2000 – only for Rita to repurchase it three years later. Their daughter Samantha then look on the licence with her partner Richard.
The Tudor Arms was named CAMRA Gloucester Country Pub of the Year in 2007.
Map Reference: SO 728042
Landlords at the Tudor Arms Inn include:
1939 S. Rt. Timbrell (Tudor Arms Inn)
1972-2000 Rita and Peter Leonard Rock (died 28.7.00, aged 70)
2008 Samantha Rock and Richard Sims (Samantha is Peter’s Daughter)