The stone built pub, on the southern side of West End, was converted into an antique centre that traded as the Trumpet. The front of the building has been sensitively altered since its days as a pub. The front central door has been replaced by an arched shaped window which perfectly matches the original windows either side of it. Above this a new central window has also been added sympathetically with the original architectural styles. A large door which presumably was once used for stabling has been retained and now forms the main entrance to the antique centre.

Courtesy Nailsworth Town Archives
Courtesy Nailsworth Town Archives

It is included on the ‘Inns of the Cotswolds Map’ published by John Bartholomew & Sons in the mid 1970’s and compiled by K.C. Jordan.  The Trumpet Inn closed in 1973.

Image: Jon Hughes

Map Reference: SO 871007

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: George Playne, Forwood Brewery, Minchinhampton

Rateable value in 1891: £7.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £7.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Full

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Landlords at the Trumpet Inn include:

1856,1863  William Newman

1874 Albion Webb

1885,1891 Jacob Greenaway

1902 Richard Edward Burge

1903 Charles Hy. Herbert

1906 Edward Grant

1919 Mrs E.M. Sefton

1927 John Ruck

1939 A. Wood

1967-1975 Ray and Alma Ward (previously at the New Inn at Selsley Common. Moved to the Swan, Minchinhampton)

Share this Page: