The Tracy Arms was directly opposite the Plough by the cross. The building had a Georgian front façade but the interior was at least two centuries older. There were three public rooms accessed by a central corridor, a best parlour to the right and a little parlour and bar parlour to the left. The Tracey Arms closed in 1929.

Charles Sallis died on 10th October 1914 and left everything in his will to his wife, Elizabeth. The effects were valued at £2,216 3s.4d. On his death certificate Charles is named as innkeeper at 18 Kingsholm Road, Gloucester – the Kingsholm Inn.

The approximate site of the Tracy Arms, possibly to the right of the picture by the whitewashed building.

Map Reference: SO 894327

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Cheltenham Original Brewery

Rateable value in 1891: £20.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Cheltenham Original Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £26.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Landlords at the Tracy Arms include:

Before 1774-1784 Elizabeth Anderson (widow)

1784-1814 John Warner

1814-1817 Mary Ann Warner (widow)

1817,1823 George Green

1827 H. Hitchman

1839 Thomas Richards

1839-1853 William Andrews

1853,1856 Mrs Sarah Ann Insall

1858 John Ford

1863,1864 John Jones

1864-1868 Annie Bateman

1868 Arthur Skinner

1885 Mrs Mary Price

1891,1897 Charles Sallis (died 10.10.1914 – see above)

1897-1899 William James Willis

1899 Richard Buer

1899-1902 Mrs Elizabeth Sallis

1902-1904 John Wimsett

1904 Albert Wyatt

1904-1906 Walter Adams

1906-1907 Frederick S. James

1907-1908 John Ball James

1908 Mrs Harriet Clifford

1912-1914 Thomas Jordon

1914-1915 Louise Beach

1915-1921 John Rice

1921 Mr? Parker

1921-1927 Harry Walker

1927-1929 Henry Baldwin

Share this Page: