The Three Horseshoes Inn was located to the west of the town on the road to Fairford (A417). The building dates from 1657. The pub was possibly once called the Waggon and Horses.
The Three Horseshoes was the only Morlands Brewery of Abingdon tied house in Gloucestershire as recorded in the petty sessional divisional records of 1891 and 1903. The 1996 edition of the CAMRA ‘Real Ale in Gloucestershire’ indicates that Morlands beers were still available at the Three Horseshoes one hundred years later.
The Three Horseshoes closed in March 2001. Greene King Brewery in Suffolk took over Morlands of Abingdon in 1999 and transferred production to Bury St Edmunds.
Map Reference: SU 207997
Owner in 1891: Morland & Co., Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Rateable Value in 1891: £10.2s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Morland & Co., Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Rateable Value in 1903: £10.2s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Three Horseshoes include:
1891,1903 John Rawlings (listed as the Woodman Inn in 1891)
1939 William Ferris
1998 Michael and Leslie Hackett (moved to the Royal Oak July 1999)