The Teddington Hands, on the junction of the Tewkesbury-Stow on the Wold road and the Cheltenham-Evesham road (A46,A435), is still trading. The address of the pub was originally the Teddington Hands Inn, Stow Road. The modern day address of Evesham Road takes into account that the access to the pub is no longer from the Stow Road side of the roundabout.
There is an evocative black and white photograph of the Teddington Hands cross roads was taken before the construction of a roundabout c.1929. The R.A.C man directing (or patiently waiting for) traffic is Harry Evans, who was a local man. The horse drawn carriage near the pub is believed to be W. Attwoods butchers van – perhaps he had nipped into the pub to enjoy a quick pint of Flowers Ales. The Stratford on Avon brewery also owned the pub in 1961 when it was called the Cross Hands. The restaurant of the Teddington Hands Inn was once the milking parlour of a working farm based at the pub.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 964338
Owner in 1891: William Jeynes (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £13.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Flowers & Sons, Stratford on Avon
Rateable value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm (unusual for its rural location)
Owner in 1961: Flowers & Sons, Stratford on Avon
Landlords at the Teddington Hands include:
1891,1903 Thomas Webb
1939 N. Butler
1998 Geoff Webb (Manager)
2003 Amy Dyer
2004 (July),2006 Peter Crooks and Heather Vondrak