14 Duke Street in 1939. The Talbot Inn was in the northern side of Duke Street just a few yards from the New Inn (Pump & Optic /Fiery Angel).

Cheltenham Original Brewery were the owners of the Talbot Inn in 1891 and 1903. The pub was licensed as an ale house and the annual rateable value remained at the same level of £18.10s.0d. throughout those twelve years spanning late Victorian and early Edwardian times.

Courtesy Michael Wilkes
Courtesy Michael Wilkes

In its latter days it was a Whitbread tied house and had built itself something of a reputation as a cider pub. The Talbot Inn closed on 2nd February 1984. The pub exterior was extensively altered when the building was converted into three small town houses – 14,14A,14B Duke Street. However, number14A retains the original doorway of the Talbot Inn.

Landlords at the Talbot Inn include:

1850 John Maskelyne

1851 T. Horton

1856 Mrs L. Caudle

1856 Mrs Marmon

1861 William Marmon

1870 James Jenkins

1878,1891 William Bowl (William Bowle in 1891)

1892 Margaret Bowl

1892-1893 Emma Hughes

1893-1894 Thomas Page

1897-1906 Charles Hobbs

1910 John James

1914-1923 Arthur F. Burnell

1926-1939 Edward George Day

1949-1957 Thomas Henry Aquilla Eloon

1963-1983 Charles Hammond

1984 Mr Tuck

Share this Page: