The original Swan Inn stood on the south side of the High Street, opposite the Shambles. Together with the nearby George Inn, the Swan was one of Stroud’s prestigious early coaching inns. 

The Swan Inn had closed by the early 19th century and, by 1822, the Swan Hotel had opened nearby on the east side of Union Street. It was built on part of the site of the old George Inn.

Its most distinctive feature was the gallows sign which spanned the street.

In recent years the Swan has closed.

This page will be updated with additional information.

The beam holding the Swan Inn sign read ‘Stroud Brewery Co’s Ales and Stout.
August 2006
Image Courtesy Dave Kirby

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Cheltenham Original Brewery

Rateable value in 1891: £47.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £30.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Landlords at the Swan include:

1814 Francis Pickard (listed as labourer. See Weavers Arms in 1830)

1830 George Warder

1851,1861 Stephen Chapman (Swan Inn, Old Chapel Street)

1856 H. Browning

1885,1891 Henry Baker

1902 George Simmons

1903 George James Castle

1906 George James Cole

1919 John Nash

1927 Mrs Mary A. Nash

1939 Lawrence William Rose

1999, 2000 Mark Greenway (manager)

Share this Page: