The Swan Inn is located on the junction with the Gloucester to Tewkesbury road (A38) and the A4019 road leading to Cheltenham.
This ex Whitbread pub was refurbished in September 1996 by the Little Pub Company and reopened as Rene Descartes Vineyard. The bar ceiling was lined with thousands of wine bottles and the French theme dominated the pub – complete with French mechanical monkeys. The Little Pub Company was subsequently acquired by Ushers of Trowbridge.
A letter (18/9/98) in the local newspaper, the ‘Citizen’, remarked: “Tacky exterior fittings and high prices make the inn out of price and taste boundaries for local people. How can a brewery get away with defiling a Grade II listed building with concrete urns and non contemporary fixtures?”
The French theme came to an end in 2000 when the pub reverted to its original identity. A West Country Ales ceramic plaque, which had been painted over with white paint, was restored to its former glory.
The Swan Inn has its own vineyard, next door to the car park. It was planted several years ago and the grapes were once harvested and sent to the Three Choirs vineyard in Newent to produce wine. The vineyard at the Swan fell into disuse but the pub plans to harvest the grapes again. The management at the Swan were looking for someone to run the vineyard free of charge, providing they supplied the wine to the pub.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 888272
Owner in 1891: Cheltenham Original Brewery
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Cheltenham Original Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £40.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Swan Inn include:
1856 W. Greening
1870 Mr Howe
1885,1891 Henry Roberts
1902,1903 William Clifford
1906 George Harris
1919,1927 Albert E. Davis
1939 Geo. E. Travess
1998 Marjorie Prosser (manageress – Descartes Vineyard)
1998 Michael Gaunt (Descartes Vineyard)
2002 James Wilkinson and Deborah Harrison
2003 Peter and Diane Fryar (from the Bell, Shurdington. Moved to the Royal Oak in Hucclecote)
2008 Yves Brown (owner), Sarah Youdan (manager)