The last pints of draught beer were pulled at the Swan Inn in December 1968.
In September 1924 the Swan Inn was described as the ‘most modern licensed house in Berkeley.’ The advert went on to say that ‘traps and motors were not put up at the Swan, though there was accommodation.’
It is now called Swan House and the present day address is 20 High Street. The building is of brick construction with a bay window. The distinctive feature is an arched entrance to the left of the building which once led to the stables. Above the arch in faded lettering the words ‘Cheltenham Ales’ can just be deciphered.
Owner in 1891: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £24.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Swan include:
1755 Richard Smith
1830 Swan Webster
1839 John Parslow
1840 William Cornock
1844 Hugh Baker
1856 Mrs B. Warren
1860,1869 John Cope
1874,1891 Ellen Cope (Mrs Ellen Cope in 1874 )
1902 William Heaven
1903,1906 Jesse Ferris
1914 Alfred Bevan
1919 Christopher Johnson
1924 Alice Haynes
1927,1939 Francis James Cole
c.1968 Percy Roddick