William Morris once described Bibury as ‘the prettiest village in England’. Certainly the location of the Swan Hotel is idyllic, by the old stone bridge over the River Coln. In autumn the foliage clinging to the walls of the Swan turns into brilliant shade of red. The 17th century Swan Hotel overlooks Bibury Trout Farm and the fish swim in abundance in the River Coln. The hotel has been enlarged over the years.

Courtesy Joe Stevens

Map Reference: SP 115069

This page will be updated with additional information.

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Lord Sherborne (free from brewery tie)

Rateable Value in 1891: £32.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Lord Sherborne (free from brewery tie)

Rateable Value in 1903: £60.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Landlords / Proprietors at the Swan Hotel include:

1851 Andrew Martin or Marten (aged 60)

1856 A. Martin

1861 Andrew -arton (sic), (aged 73)

1871, 1885 Ralph Lees (aged 35 in 1871 and listed as innkeeper and farmer, 44, in 1881)

1891 Edward Frederick Woodman. Alehouse. Free from brewery tie. (owner Lord Sherborne)

1901,1902 Elizabeth Woodman (Mrs) (listed as a widow in 1903, aged 52)

1903,1919 Frank R. Busby

1927 Mrs Evelyn H. Busby

Share this Page: