There is a mention of a Swan as early as 1642 but this must have been an earlier establishment as the present building is of a later date, constructed in the 1700’s or later. In the 1885 Kellys directory it was listed as the Swan family and commercial hotel and Posting House.
Owner in 1891: Garton & Co, Bristol
Rateable value in 1891: £64.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Anglo-Bavarian Brewery, Shepton Mallet, Somerset
Rateable value in 1903: £64.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Swan Hotel include:
1830 John Ford
1849,1856 Mrs Francis Gayner
1881 Austin Grove
1885,1891 Richard Quin
1903 Thomas Rowe Seldon
1906 R. Seldon
1919 William Silvester Pegg
1927 Harry Plant
1939 John Cornock