The Swan Inn was built in 1507, two years before Henry VIII came to the throne. It is Lechlade’s oldest pub and continues to trade. The exterior has changed little over the years but the left side of the old twin gabled inn is now an antique shop (Swan Antiques).
Map Reference: SU 214996
Owner in 1891: R.B. Bowley, North Wilts Brewery Swindon
Rateable Value in 1891: £13.14s.6d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: R.B. Bowley, North Wilts Brewery Swindon
Rateable Value in 1903: £13.14s.6d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Swan include:
1856 R.J. Archer
1885 Alfred Spiers
1891,1913 Sarah Gerring
1919 Harry Cooper
1927,1939 William Hy. Banyard
1995 (May), 2004 Joanne and Eric Butler
2008 Richard Clack and Susan Hedges