The Sundial was once tied to the Brimscombe Brewery. The pub later became a Stroud Brewery house. The Stroud petty sessions of 1926 observed that there were “four other licensed houses within a distance of 254 yards of the Sundial.” The Sundial was recommended for closure and must have closed down soon afterwards.
A feature was a large sundial under which the pubs name was painted on the stonework. The old sundial can still be seen to this day and the exterior of the building has altered very little in the intervening years.
Owner in 1891: Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £13.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Exors of Mrs Hunt (leased Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery)
Rateable value in 1903: £13.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Sundial include:
1885 Robert Hunt
1891 David Heaven
1902,1906 Joseph Benjamin Flight
1919 Edward T. Hale
1927 Reginald W. Butcher