Number 118 Dyer Street in 1889 and 1919 references.
The Sun is one of several inns and hostelries in Cirencester to claim that Charles II was an overnight guest whilst on the run from the Roundheads after the Battle of Worcester in 1651. (The Crown and Kings Head are the other contenders). The Sun probably has the strongest claim of the three.
The Sun Inn closed on 3rd March 1922. After closure the Sun became a motor garage and the workshops of H.Tovey & Son, later becoming the Grove Garage.
The building is now the Corinium Suite of the Jarvis Fleece Hotel.
The Sun Inn on closure – the site of Henry Tovey & Sons New Motor Garage.
Owner in 1891: Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1891: £24.0s.0d.
Type of license in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £24.0s.0d.
Type of license in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Sun Inn include:
1820,1830 Nicholas Blackwell (Sun Tavern in 1830)
1840 Thomas Clappen, (Sun Inn, Market Place)
1856 W. Townsend
1871 James Ellison (Sun Inn, Market Place)
1885 William Godwin
1889,1906 Walter Cole (Walter Pinegar Cole in 1891 and 1903)
1913,1919 Ernest Ralph Curtis