The Stag & Hounds was the top end of the village near the old Brockhampton Quarry. The Stag is now a private house called Hunters Rest and is the last house on the left going up the hill. The metal bracket can still be seen where the pub sign once hung. It closed in the early 1960’s probably because of lack of parking spaces for motorists.
David Denley, the landlord c1869 – c1879, briefly renamed the pub the White Hart.
Outside the Stag & Hounds, Brockhampton c.1910
The property was on the market in June 2012 with an asking price of £595,000. It was described as a Grade II listed cottage with wonderful walled garden. Reception hall, sitting room with open fireplace, dining room, kitchen, utility, cloakroom and study/bedroom 3, 2 further bedrooms and bathroom. Off road parking, garage and gardens.
Map Reference: SP 044221
Owner in 1891: C.W. Lawrence Esq. (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £38.3s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891:
Owner in 1903: C.W. Lawrence Esq. (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £41.10s.0d. (included eighteen and three quarter acres of land)
Type of licence in 1903:
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
1851 Thomas Denley
1851-c1869 Esther Denley (widow of Thomas)
c1869-c1879 David Denley (great great nephew of Thomas Denley)
1891 Job Nash
1914-1926 David Denley (Son of above)
1903 Lavinia Nash
1926 Bill Fisher (son in law of David Denley, jnr)
1939 Edwin James Trigg