170 Westgate Street in 1936 Kellys Directory reference and 169/170 Westgate Street in 1965.
The Square and Compass Inn stood at the junction with Westgate Street and the southern end of Priory Road. This area of Gloucester has changed beyond recognition. The Square and Compass stood somewhere on or near the present day one-way road system by the junction with Westgate Street and the Quay. The pub may have been demolished to facilitate the road improvement scheme (Royal Oak Road).
A photograph of the 1947 Gloucester floods shows the Square and Compass to be surrounded by floodwater almost lapping into the pub itself. At that time the brick built Square & Compass was owned by Stroud Brewery and a painted wall sign reads ‘Stroud Brewery’s Fine Ales’. There is also a Stroud Beers plaque by the front door. The Square and Compass became a West Country Breweries pub.
The Citizen: Saturday, 7th December 1968. The last pint is being drawn tonight at the Square & Compass public house in Westgate Street, Gloucester – made redundant by the owners Whitbread Flowers Ltd. The licensee Arthur Bignell and his wife Myrtle have run the pub for nearly ten years and are taking over the licence of the Beehive pub in Millbrook Street.
The Citizen, Monday 9th December 1968: The Square and Compass public house in Westgate Street, Gloucester, closed for the last time on Saturday night. To show their appreciation of their services, customers presented the licensee, Mr Alfred Bignell, with a half-pint silver tankard, and gave a gold locket to Mrs Bignell.
Mr Bignell, who is taking over the licence of the Beehive public house in Millbrook Street, is seen with daughter Maureen and wife Myrtle, behind the bar at the Square and Compass.
Owners in 1947: Stroud Brewery Company
1893 W.H. Matthews
1891,1902 Alfred Flowers
1906 J.T. Coulson
1936,1957 William Miller (Billy Miller) – (previously at the Britannia Inn in St Mary’s Square)
1959-1968 Arthur & Myrtle Bignell