Numbered 200 High Street in the 1891 Post Office Directory. The modern address is 361 High Street. The Somerset Arms closed in 1923 and the premises was converted to a cycle dealer, the business of Alec Hamlen. In more recent times the ground floor of the building was in use as a laundrette – Wash ‘n’ Vac – but the premises have since been converted to residential use.  The frontage is quite small, the Somerset Arms must have been a basic no-frills establishment, akin to a micro-pub of today.

Corpus Christi College of Oxford were the owners of the Somerset Arms in 1891 and 1903. The lease of the property was taken by the Cheltenham Original Brewery. The premises licence was for a beer house and the annual rateable value of £15.5s.0d. remained at the same level during those twelve years.

Landlords at the Somerset Arms include:

1870 Charles Moulder

1878 Eliza Roberts

1883 Mrs Maddock

1891 Jane Maddock

1903 Susannah F. Young

Share this Page: